Friday, September 7, 2012

Quilter Questionnaire: Jenn


Name: Jenn Nevitt


How long have you been quilting? I made my first quilt just about three years ago - for my daughter's first birthday. It was the first quilt I had finished (I had sewn some quilt blocks when I was pregnant, but it took awhile for those to become a quilt!)

What is your favorite part/step of the process? I love choosing fabric (though I hate to use up my favorites!) and I love piecing the top. 




Your biggest obstacle? Besides being able to afford all the fabric I love, and to have time and space to sew everything? Deciding how to quilt my quilts is always tough for me, and making the backing. Ugh! 

How many have you finished? I had to go count - 46! Wow! 

Which item that you have made are you most proud of? The quilt I made for my bed this year - it is the largest quilt I've finished (just over queen size) and I think it looks like something you might buy, so that's pretty neat!



How do you decide on a pattern? I love reading quilt blogs (I was so excited when I found quilt blogs! I had read knitting blogs for years, and for some reason it didn't occur to me right away that there would be quilt blogs too!). And Pinterest is a good source of inspiration. I also like to collect quilting books, and have recently made a few quilts out of some of my books. 

Where do you quilt, do you have your own space? I have a new sewing room, and it's pretty tiny, but it's nice to keep the yarn and fabric stash away from the kids and pets! I usually move my machine to the dining room table to quilt my quilts, as there is not enough room on my sewing table.

Tell us about your stash: Not big enough! I have a hard time choosing fabrics - I really want to love everything I buy. I signed up for Pink Castle Fabric's Stash StackClub though, and they send out fat quarters all within a color scheme each month. I'm hoping to get a lot of things I wouldn't otherwise buy. I have a bad habit of buying an entire line of fabric in fat quarters or smaller precuts, and I find that sometimes limiting.




How would you define your style? Traditional Modern. I love the bright colors and patterns in modern prints, but I'm not much into 'wonky' or freeform quilting. I like nice straight lines and geometric shapes! 

What are your go-to colors? Blues and Greens. And I love a good grey!

Favorite tool or notion? My sewing machine!

Do you have other crafty hobbies? I knit a lot, and dabble in embroidery and cross stitch when I have time. I also love sewing clothes for my kids. 


Be sure and keep up with Jenn on her blog at http://knitnlit.blogspot.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you