Storm at Sea
Here is another version done by Allyson, without the center square.
Note – Before you begin, I suggest you write on the paper pieces what color goes where, you will thank me later.
2. All 3 of the blocks are made the same way, I will show how to do the large 6.5” square.
3. Glue your center piece to cover the size of the inside square (use a 5” square for this) to the back side of the block, facing down. Just a drop of glue will work. I use an Elmers glue stick. It goes on purple, but I promise it will dry non-sticky and clear.
4. Here comes the magic park. Flip the square over so the lined side is on the top. Use a piece of card stock and fold the paper back along the line. Then use an add a quarter ruler or the ¼” line on your regular ruler. Cut the fabric along that ¼” line. Repeat for all 4 lines. Now you have a ¼” seam line to know exactly where to place the other pieces.
5. Flip the piece over so your fabric is showing (right side). From now on we will be sewing the pieces right side down. Line up your fabric (see the cut sizes for each block below…I will caution you that I am very generous on the pieces to make sure that it all fits together) right side down on one of the straight lines of the square we just cut. Then carefully flip it over so you can see the sewing line on the paper and sew along that line. Start with a few stitches away from the line and end with a few stitches past the line. Do you see how the ¼” seam allowance is now on the block, there’s no need to flip over and cut the ¼” seam allowance.
6. Now repeat this with the line that’s across and then press these open. Then repeat for the other 2 sides.7. Once you have all 4 pieces done and pressed then you can cut the block to make it the right size. Cut along the dashed line which is ¼” away from the straight line. Flip over and you have a block with perfect points. I suggest keeping the paper on until you put the whole quilt together.
1 – 5” square, and 2 – 5” squares cut diagonally in half you should have 4 HSTs now.
4 – 3” square for the center and 8 or 16 – 4” squares cut in half diagonally (4 if only doing the square in square).
4 – 3 ½” x 6 ½” rectangle and 16 – 4.5” squares cut diagonally
I hope you guys have fun with this block and will see you soon!!